Tuesday, August 3, 2010

A Disclaimer

Many things in my life begin with a disclaimer.


It's become second nature whenever anyone comes through my door: "Sorry, the house is a big disgusting mess" or when anyone has a question about the farm: "well...they're not really our cows, you see". I've gone as far as to include one with an application to jury into a local artist cooperative: "I've attached some pictures of what my work looks like now, but who's to say what direction it'll take tomorrow?". And my mother sometimes even uses one by way of introduction: "This is my daughter Mary," she'll say, "She's very honest. She'll tell you exactly what she's thinking".


And she's right. I do. And so the need for the disclaimer.


So here's the deal- this blog will cover my thoughts. That's it. It could include topics like self-reliance, or my ideas on marriage, or rural New Hampshire. It will probably mention things about clay, 'cause that's what I'm currently doing with a lot of my time, and most likely there will be stuff about this great big farmhouse (okay, it's not really that big) because that's where I'm doing it. But it might not include anything about any of those things. The point here is that I make no promises. I don't promise that I will be insightful, or witty, or that I will even stay on topic. I certainly don't promise wisdom. I don't promise that my posts will follow a linear path, or even that my opinions from one day to the next will possess any trace of congruence. I especially don't promise congruence. The world is a complex place, and if you can look at everything in it and continue to express the same, parallel thoughts and opinions that you've always held, then you're either very narrow minded, or you're just not paying attention. Oh, and I don't really even promise to include anything that I really think. 'Cause sometimes I just like to make shit up. And grammar, I don't promise grammar. Or spelling.


I guess mostly what I want to be clear about is that I don't pretend any level of expertise. On anything. I just think a lot, sometimes about things that I think are important and sometimes about things of no consequence whatsoever. I pick up an idea and try it on for size. Sometimes it fits and I'll wear it for a while. And sometimes I'll discard it pretty quickly. But I find that even some of my favorites get a little ragged, a little worn, and with enough time some of them just stop fitting. So I'll pick up a new one. And so it goes. It doesn't mean that what I'm thinking about now is any more or less valid than what I thought about yesterday. And just because I express a particular idea doesn't mean that I think it should fit you. 'Cause it might not. And that's okay. That's the fun part actually.


And so that's it. At least I think it is for now.
But don't hold me to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment